Postdoctoral Fellowship in Science, Justice, and Health Equity
– Review begins February 27, 2015 and continues until filled
Health Equity Institute
San Francisco State University
The Health Equity Institute at San Francisco State University invites applications for a two-year post-doctoral fellowship in science, justice, and health equity. The Postdoctoral fellow will join our Institute’s research team, co-develop programs and projects at the intersection of science, medicine and health equity, and work independently on developing one’s own publications and research.
The Science, Justice and Health Equity postdoc will engage in scholarship that addresses
contemporary problems that entangle questions of science and knowledge with those of health and social justice. Areas of research of particular interest include; reproductive health and justice; health and health disparities; gender/race/sex/sexuality and biomedicine/biomedical research; biomedical innovations and health equity; biodata, data mining and crowdsourcing; big data, data governance, and health; and other research topics at the intersection of science, health, and justice. We welcome applicants from a variety of fields including sociology, anthropology, science and technology studies, public health, sexuality studies, women and gender studies, and other relevant fields.
The Post-Doctoral candidate is expected to perform the following:
• Co-develop activities in the science justice and health equity stream of the Health Equity Institute with Dr. Laura Mamo
• Develop relationships across campus and with other bay area institutions to establish
conversation and develop partnerships concerning contemporary science, justice, and health equity issues
• Organize and advise graduate students in professional training and research in science,
justice, and health equity
• Contribute to collaborative research activities with HEI team members
• Assist in grant development and research projects in science, justice, and health equity.
• Conduct independent research and grant development
• Publish papers in the high-quality journals and conferences
• Travel to scientific conferences to present work
• Applicants must have completed all the requirements for the Ph.D. (or equivalent) by June 2015, or have received their degree within the last five years
• Have the ability to contribute to understanding science, health, and society
• Have the ability to work in teams and provide a leadership role when working with graduate students
• Evidence of community collaboration and work from a social justice perspective is highly desirable
The Fellow will be supported with time and shared-office space needed to develop research projects, collaborate, and revise and submit publications from their dissertation or other research.
The Fellowship start date is flexible (as early as July 1 2015), but can be no later than August 31, 2015. The stipend is $50,000 plus benefits. In addition, the Fellow is eligible for $3,000 per year to fund research and conference travel, and up to $2,000 for allowable relocation expenses in the first year. Opportunities to teach may be available at SFSU to supplement this income.
Application materials will begin review on February 27, 2015 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants should send the following materials in PDF format by email attachment to email@example.com, with the subject heading of “Science, Justice and Health Equity Postdoc Application”:
1) Cover letter: Please briefly situate your work in relation to the field of science, justice and health equity and address the question of your experience within interdisciplinary academic environments. Include a section describing your research and publication plan for the fellowship period and a section describing your research directions;
2) a full curriculum vitae;
3) a writing sample consisting of either a dissertation chapter or an article; and, 4) please arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent. Please include individuals who can comment on your research experience. Letters can either be sent by email to the same address (subject heading: “Science, Justice, and Health Equity “), or by mail to:
Health Equity Institute
1600 Holloway Ave., HSS 359
San Francisco, CA 94132
Information about the Health Equity Institute can be found at http://healthequity.sfsu.edu.
Administrative questions should be directed to Angelica Martinez at 415.405.2540 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Substantive questions may be addressed to Dr. Laura Mamo email@example.com or Dr. Cynthia Gómez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AA/EOE: Applications from women and minorities are especially encouraged.