Deadline: Graduate Student Summer Scholar Awards
April 1 @ 6:00 pm
The Robert F. and Jean E. Holtz Center for Science and Technology Studies invites applications from UW-Madison doctoral students for research support for the summer each spring. Applicants may come from any disciplinary background as long as the proposed research engages the field of science and technology studies. Awards may support preliminary or pilot research in advance of the student’s dissertation, or a phase of the student’s dissertation research. Awards can range between $2,500-$4,000.
- Applicants must be current UW-Madison Ph.D. students entering at least the second year of graduate studies in the fall of 2021.
- Applicants’ research proposals must include a strong emphasis on science and technology studies.
Conditions of the Award
- If not already enrolled, successful applicants must enroll in the STS Ph.D. minor program in the year of their Summer Holtz scholarships. Holtz Summer Scholars must complete paperwork for enrollment in the STS Ph.D. minor by May 30, 2021 before any award funds are activated. Those who fail to do so will forfeit their awards. They must also commit to completing the STS minor program.
- Summer Scholars must submit a post-award report of 500 to 1,000 words by September 30, 2021.
- Recipients of the award are expected to participate fully in the activities of the lively STS community at UW-Madison, including regular attendance at Holtz Center colloquia, workshops and other events.
- Members of the Holtz Center’s Steering Committee will review all proposals based on overall quality, potential contributions to science and technology studies, and intellectual significance.