- This event has passed.
Deadline: Undergraduate Research Opportunity
February 15, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
The Robert F. and Jean E. Holtz Center for Science and Technology Studies is active in enhancing undergraduate education through multiple activities, including its Certificate, Integrated Studies in Science, Engineering, and Society (ISSuES). One of the main purposes of the Holtz Center and its ISSuES Certificate is to foster a better understanding of both the place of science and technology in social life, and the social and cultural determinants of science and technology research and practice.
To these ends, we are excited to issue a new call for research proposals from undergraduate students interested in conducting research on issues important to science, technology, and society. All undergraduate students at UW-Madison are eligible for this funding opportunity including those in engineering, social and behavioral sciences, the humanities, and biological and physical sciences. We are giving two awards in this category. The maximum amount of each award is $1,000 for the student and $500 in flexible funds for the faculty advisor.
Research topics could be initiated by the undergraduate student with the support of a faculty advisor. Or, the undergraduate student could work as part of a faculty member’s research team. In either case, a very brief letter of support from the faculty advisor is required.
Here are the eligibility criteria and requirements:
- The student should be enrolled as an undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin, Madison
- The research proposal should not be less than 3 or more than 5 double-space pages, summarizing the aims of the research project, explicitly stating its connection with the themes of this competition and the goals of the Holtz Center
- A very brief supporting note from the faculty advisor on the project
- A one-page budget
- Proposals are accepted for work to be done during the summer of 2018 or the 2018-19 academic year.
- A brief report from the student, not to exceed two pages, is due one month after the conclusion of the research project. The report should include the student’s reflections on the research project and its conclusions.
The deadline for submitting the proposals is 5 pm on Thursday, February 15, 2018.
If you have any questions about the application process or proposal writing, please contact the Director of the Holtz Center, Samer Alatout, email@example.com, or the Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your research proposals and the supporting document from the faculty advisor to email@example.com.